The UC Hockey Club is run by a volunteer Committee which oversees the organisation of teams, coaches, training, equipment, social events, funding and much more. Assisted by a small number of dedicated people, this group ensures the club is run effectively in pursuit of delivering a quality hockey and club experience to all members.
This requires an extraordinary amount of time input – volunteers are to be congratulated and we’re always looking for more help. If you’re interested in doing your bit, whatever shape or form, please email the club President to find out how you can make your club even better.
The following list gives an overview of current club volunteers, both Committee and otherwise.
Player Development Manager
Player Development Co-Opt
Social Media Representative
Social Representative Co-opt
- The face of the club to Canterbury Hockey, New Zealand Hockey, UCSA, UC Hockey Advisory Board Responsible for long term club strategy.
- Organisation and management of committee
- Needs good people management skills and a vision for the long term strategy of the club.
- Good time and project management skills.
- Responsible for the day-to-day running of the club and is the first point of contact for new members and Canterbury Hockey.
- Good communication skills essential for interacting with a range of people and roles as well as good time management skills to keep on top of all tasks.
- Treasurers fundamental role in future will be curating and managing Xero.
- Responsible for the financial health of the club and therefore all financial matters.
- Duties include budget, setting fees, GST returns, paying invoices, debt collection.
- Good time management for fee setting,
- Affinity for numbers.
- People skills as you communicate with every member of the club.
Player Development Coodinator
- Long term thinking of what UCHC needs to do to be a competitive club.
- Recruitment of new elite players and coaches.
- Co-ordinate athlete development programmes with UC Sport Experience with top-level hockey.
- Coordinate the Premier and Div 1 coaches, and help them succeed.
- Requires people skills to communicate with coaching co-ordinator and players within the club
- Ideally know a broad range of people inside and outside the club for recruitment.
- Raise funds for the club to keep fees as low as possible through fundraising, sponsorship and grants.
- Apply for grants to pay for new equipment and cover other club costs.
- Good time management to meet grant deadlines and targets and good communication skills required as working numerous people in the committee and external organizations.
- In charge of distributing and managing equipment and uniforms.
- Order new uniforms as needed.
- Work with Funding Manager to submit grants for new equipment.
- Should want to make UCHC the best-outfitted club in Canterbury.
- Time management,
- Top notch organisational skills
Social Media (Marketing) Manager
- Marketing the club during pre-season to attract new players, social media presence and website during the season to keep club members up to date with news and events.
- Manage the club Facebook account and Instagram.
- Time management
- Passion for social media and creativity
Social Manager x 2
- Organise social calendar for the year and event planning, including President’s shout, flat crawl and prizegiving.
- Good time management and forward planning
- Interest in event organisation
- Recruit umpires from within the club.
- Co-ordinate with Canterbury Hockey for umpiring training and allocate umpires to club games weekly.
- Good time management and people skills to recruit new umpires.
- Recruit managers.
- The first point of contact for managers.
- Ability to problem solve and willingness to learn rules and regulations.
- Good communication and people skills.
- Recruit coaches, the first point of contact for coaches.
- Support new coaches to become established and confident running their teams.
- Help find and distribute coaching material between coaches (drills, game plans).
- People skills and communication to collaborate with the Canterbury Hockey Association manager and coaches within the club
- Help out Treasurer and Funding Manager with their duties.
- Help collect fees.
- Good introduction to the treasurer role for people interested in that role in the future.
- Help out Secretary with their duties.
- Help with the small projects that come up (surveys, player information collection).
- Good introduction to the secretary role for people interested in that role in the future.
- Help out the two social managers with their duties
- No skills required, just need to be enthusiastic